Arizona’s monsoon season begins June 15 and by late July through August the storms are in full swing! This workshop is based primarily around storm chasing but on the occasion storms aren’t around we will still have Arizona’s famous landscapes and stunning sunsets to photograph. We will scour the state to find awesome weather and storms to photograph and time-lapse. Thunderstorms, supercells, duststorms, lightning, rainbows – we will take anything Mother Nature throws at us!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Participants will learn not only how to photograph and time-lapse storms, but also how to find and track storms using radar in order to chase them, how to recognize and “see” storm structure in order to create more compelling compositions, how to create panoramic images of large storm cells, and much more. We will also be teaching some post-processing techniques when possible so that your storm images really shine. Storm chasing often means long days – and nights – in the field, driving over long distances. It truly is addictive though and we find that people who love this type of photography pay little attention to time and can’t wait to go out on the next chase!
July 29 – Meet and Greet in the afternoon followed by dinner. If there are any storms nearby we will start with our first chase.
July 30 – August 2 – We will be chasing storms every day wherever we find them in Arizona. We will be breaking for meals but on very active days we may be eating a lot of fast food. We will also have snacks available in our vehicle.
August 3 – We will have a final critique of the images made over the course of the workshop and finish by 10AM to get ready for hotel check out.
- Transportation throughout the workshop.
- Daily personalized one-on-one instruction with Tina and Kevin in the field, post-processing classroom instruction and constructive critiques.
- Water and snacks.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Phoenix.
- Hotel accommodations.
- Transportation between the Phoenix airport and our base hotel in Phoenix.
- Daily meals and beverages.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- DSLR or Mirrorless Camera.
- Lenses ranging from wide angle to telephoto (wide angle lenses are especially useful in this workshop.)
- Sturdy Tripod.
- Intervalometer if you are doing time-lapses.
- External cable release is highly suggested.
- Filters (split neutral density). These are not mandatory but can be helpful, especially with time-lapses.
- Lightning trigger is suggested but not required (important if you want to try to capture lightning during the day, but not needed for capturing lightning at night.)
- Laptop with Photoshop (trail versions are usually available if you don’t already have Photoshop.)
A deposit of 50% of the workshop price is due upon registration and is non-refundable or you can choose to pay the total amount up front. Final Payment is due 30 days prior to the workshop event. If the final payment is not made by the due date your space will be forfeited.