Arizona’s monsoon season begins June 15 and July through August is prime time for the storms! This workshop is based primarily around storm chasing but on the occasion storms aren’t around we will still have Arizona’s famous landscapes and stunning sunsets to photograph. We will scour the state in search of awesome weather. Thunderstorms, supercells, dust storms, lightning, rainbows – we will take anything Mother Nature throws at us!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
This tour will start and end in Phoenix, Arizona. Participants will learn not only how to photograph and timelapse storms, but also how to find and track storms using radar in order to chase them, how to recognize and “see” storm structure in order to create more compelling compositions, how to create panoramic images of large storm cells, and much more. We will also be teaching some post-processing techniques when possible so that your storm images really shine. Storm chasing often means long days – and nights – in the field, driving over long distances. It truly is addictive though and we find that people who love this type of photography pay little attention to time and can’t wait to go out on the next chase!
August 2 – The chase begins early in the morning as we head toward our target area for the day. Please plan your flight to arrive August 1, the day prior to first tour date.
August 3 – 6 – We will be chasing storms every day wherever we find them in Arizona. We will be breaking for meals but on very active days we may be eating a lot of fast food. We will also have snacks available in our vehicle.
August 7 – We will end our chase late in the evening in Phoenix. Please plan your return flight to depart August 8, the day after the final tour date.
- Hotel accommodations throughout the workshop from the start date to the end date.
- Transportation throughout the workshop.
- Daily personalized one-on-one instruction with Tina and Kevin in the field, post-processing classroom instruction and constructive critiques.
- Water and snacks.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Phoenix, Arizona.
- Hotel accommodations on the day prior to the start date and the day after the end date of the workshop.
- Transportation between the Phoenix airport and our base hotel in Phoenix.
- Daily meals and beverages.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- DSLR or Mirrorless Camera.
- Lenses ranging from wide angle to telephoto (wide angle lenses are especially useful in this workshop.)
- Sturdy Tripod.
- Intervalometer if you are doing timelapses.
- External cable release is highly suggested.
- Filters (split neutral density). These are not mandatory but can be helpful, especially with timelapses.
- Lightning trigger is suggested but not required (important if you want to try to capture lightning during the day, but not needed for capturing lightning at night.)
- Laptop with Photoshop (trail versions are usually available if you don’t already have Photoshop.)
A deposit of $500 is due upon registration and is non-refundable. Final Payment is due 60 days prior to the workshop event. If the final payment is not made by the due date your space will be forfeited.