The Bisti Badlands is a stark and other-worldly desert landscape punctuated by elaborate and bizarre hoodoo formations and steeply eroded and colorful badlands. The area’s remoteness offers both solitude and truly dark skies once the sun has set and we will be photographing it during the day and at night. Come with us as we explore this rich and rewarding location during!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Participants will have the opportunity to photograph the badlands and many different and unique hoodoo formations during the day and under the stars and the Milky Way. This will provide you with all the best Bisti Badlands has to offer in order to give you the best possible photos you can get!
*** Please Note: Some light hiking of up to 2-4 miles round-trip through uneven terrain is required to access some of the locations on this trip.
Wednesday, June 19 – Meet and Greet followed by an early dinner and our first photography session. We will head out for a sunset shoot and then spend the rest of the evening under the stars.
Thursday, June 20 – We will begin with lunch (optional to attend) followed by an afternoon classroom session and photo critique. We will then have an early dinner and head back out for a sunset photo shoot and another night of shooting under the stars.
Friday, June 21 – We will begin with lunch (optional to attend) followed by an afternoon classroom session and photo critique. We will then have an early dinner and head back out for a sunset photo shoot and another night of shooting under the stars.
Saturday, June 22 – We will meet for a final critique and finish by 10AM to get ready for hotel check out.
- Daily personalized one-on-one instruction with Tina and Kevin in the field, post-processing classroom instruction and constructive critiques.
- Transportation during the workshop to workshop shooting locations.
- Water and snacks.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Our workshop will be based out of Farmington, New Mexico. Albuquerque is the closest large city.
- Transportation between the airport and your hotel.
- Hotel lodging. This workshop will be based in Farmington, New Mexico.
- Daily meals and beverages.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- DSLR or Mirrorless Camera with capability of producing low to moderate noise at ISO 1250 and higher.
- Wide angle lens in the 14mm to 24mm range (the wider the better) with an aperture of f4 or below (ie: f3.5, f2.8, f2, etc.). Lenses ranging from 24mm to 200mm are also good for our sunset shoots though not required.
- Sturdy Tripod.
- Intervalometer (helpful but not optional.)
- Laptop with Photoshop (trail versions are usually available if you don’t already have photoshop.)
- Flashlight or headlamp, preferably with a red light.
- Sturdy walking shoes.
A deposit of 50% of the workshop price is due upon registration and is non-refundable or you can choose to pay the total amount up front. Final Payment is due 30 days prior to the workshop event. If the final payment is not made by the due date your space will be forfeited.