Arizona’s monsoon season begins June 15 and by late July through August the storms are in full swing! Arizona’s monsoons are astonishing to witness in any setting but when you couple these powerful storms with the majesty of Grand Canyon, there is nothing quite like it anywhere else! Imagine standing on the rim looking out over the colorful palette of the canyon below as light and rain intermix to create dazzling displays of light and color, ending in a vibrant double rainbow before the sun slips below the horizon. This is always the dream scenario and sometimes it does happen but even if it doesn’t, the storms and incredible monsoon sunsets that grace the canyon during this season are impressive enough!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Participants will learn not only how to photograph and time-lapse storms, but also how to find and track storms using radar apps, how to recognize and “see” storm structure in order to create more compelling compositions, how to create panoramic images of large storm cells, and much more. We will also be teaching post-processing techniques so that your images really shine. Join us in one of the world’s most iconic landscapes as we chase the light and capture all of the drama that monsoon season has to offer!
Monday, August 12 – Meet and Greet followed by dinner. We will then head out for our first sunset shoot at the Grand Canyon.
Tuesday, August 13 – Friday, August 16 – We will begin each day with a sunrise shoot and chase storms the remainder of the day wherever we find them in the area, finally ending with a sunset shoot every day. We will be breaking for meals and classroom sessions in between the action, but we will remain flexible depending on the weather.
Saturday, August 17 – We will have a final sunrise shoot followed by a final critique and finish by 10AM to get ready for hotel check out.
- Transportation throughout the workshop.
- Daily personalized one-on-one instruction with Tina and Kevin in the field, post-processing classroom instruction and constructive critiques.
- Water and snacks.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Phoenix (the closest large airport to the Grand Canyon).
- Hotel accommodations (we will be based at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon).
- Transportation between the Phoenix airport and the Grand Canyon.
- Daily meals and beverages.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- DSLR Camera.
- Lenses ranging from wide angle to telephoto (wide angle lenses are especially useful in this workshop.)
- Sturdy Tripod.
- Intervalometer if you are doing time-lapses.
- External cable release is highly suggested.
- Filters (polarizer, split neutral density). These are not mandatory but helpful.
- Lightning trigger is suggested but not required (important if you want to try to capture lightning during the day, but not needed for capturing lightning at night.)
- Laptop with Photoshop (trail versions are usually available if you don’t already have Photoshop.)
A deposit of 50% of the workshop price is due upon registration and is non-refundable or you can choose to pay the total amount up front. Final Payment is due 30 days prior to the workshop event. If the final payment is not made by the due date your space will be forfeited.