While Phoenix, Arizona is not known for its exceptionally dark skies because of its large city status and light pollution, it doesn’t take long once on the outskirts for the city to give way to total wilderness allowing for fantastic stargazing opportunities. Combine the stark beauty of the Sonoran Desert under the gaze of the rising Milky Way and the occasional cries of nearby coyotes and you have something really special! This workshop is timed with a new moon for maximum photographic results of the night sky, so come join us for a memorable weekend in the desert under the stars!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Participants will have the opportunity to photograph mountain ranges, giant saguaros, old-west buildings and many other subjects under brilliant, star-filled skies and the Milky Way. You will gain an understanding of the night sky and how to plan future astrophotography shoots through the use of various apps and charts pertaining to locating stars, monthly moon phases and positioning and brilliance of the Milky Way. We will also be discussing techniques such as light painting, creating panoramic images through stitching, capturing star-trails, and post-processing techniques to make your star images really shine!
*** Please Note: Some light hiking through uneven terrain is required to access some of the locations on this trip. Also, this is summer in the desert and though temperatures can be very hot during the day, we will only be hiking and working on the fringes of the day and into the night so you shouldn’t expect to be too uncomfortable. We will make sure everyone has access to plenty of water during field sessions.
Friday, June 28 – Meet and Greet followed by our first photography session. We will head out for a sunset shoot and then spend our first night under the stars. We typically will be out photographing the stars until 1AM-2AM.
Saturday, June 29 – We will begin with lunch (optional to attend) followed by an afternoon classroom session and photo critique. We will then have an early dinner and head back out for a sunset photo shoot and another night of shooting under the stars. We typically will be out photographing the stars until 1AM-2AM.
Sunday, June 30 – We will begin with lunch (optional to attend) followed by an afternoon classroom session and photo critique. We will then have an early dinner and head back out for a sunset photo shoot and another night of shooting under the stars. We typically will be out photographing the stars until 1AM-2AM.
- Daily personalized one-on-one instruction with Tina and Kevin in the field, post-processing classroom instruction and constructive critiques.
- Transportation during the workshop to workshop shooting locations.
- Water and snacks.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Phoenix.
- Transportation between Phoenix and your hotel.
- Hotel lodging. We will be based in Mesa, Arizona.
- Daily meals and beverages.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- DSLR or Mirrorless Camera with capability of producing low to moderate noise at ISO 1250 and higher.
- Wide angle lens in the 14mm to 24mm range (the wider the better) with an aperture of f4 or below (ie: f3.5, f2.8, f2, etc.). Lenses ranging from 24mm to 200mm are also good for our sunset shoots though not required.
- Sturdy Tripod.
- Intervalometer (helpful but optional – must have if you want to do star-trails)
- Laptop with Photoshop (trail versions are usually available if you don’t already have photoshop.)
- Flashlight or headlamp, preferably with a red light.
- Sturdy walking shoes.
A deposit of 50% of the workshop price is due upon registration and is non-refundable or you can choose to pay the total amount up front. Final Payment is due 30 days prior to the workshop event. If the final payment is not made by the due date your space will be forfeited.