Yosemite National Park is an iconic landscape of the American West, one that has infinite photographic possibilities! From the granite monoliths of Half Dome and El Capitan, to the country’s tallest waterfall, Yosemite Falls, to more subtle subjects like the Merced River, stately elm and oak trees, the impressive giant sequoias, many smaller waterfalls and streams, vast meadows, and wildlife such as deer, coyotes, black bears and bald eagles, there is no shortage of amazing subjects to shoot. Winter is one of Yosemite’s best seasons. With less tourists and a valley transformed by occasional snow storms, great atmospheric conditions like fog and mist and beautiful, soft light, it is nothing short of magical! You will never go wrong in Yosemite but you may become addicted to it, wanting to returning again and again!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
We will shoot at many locations around Yosemite including Tunnel View, Valley View, Cook’s Meadow and El Capitan Meadow among many others. We will also be shooting all the iconic locations like El Capitan, Half Dome, Cathedral Rocks, Three Brothers, Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil Falls among others, hopefully in a blanket of white. We will also be taking full advantage of the best light of the day which means we will be out early (before sunrise) and will be staying out late (past sunset) to ensure you get the best photos possible.
*** Please Note: Some light hiking is required over uneven terrain to access some of the best photographic locations. Be prepared for cold weather and bring appropriate clothing to spend up to a few hours at a time in the elements.
Wednesday, January 9 – Meet and Greet followed by our first sunset shoot in Yosemite. We will head to dinner after our photo session.
Thursday, January 10 – We will begin our day with a sunrise photo session followed by a late breakfast and an afternoon photo editing session and critique session. We will then head back out for a sunset photo session.
Friday, January 11 – We will begin our day with another sunrise photo session followed by a late breakfast and an afternoon photo editing session and critique session. We will then head back out for a sunset photo session.
Saturday, January 12 – We will begin our day with another sunrise photo session followed by a late breakfast and an afternoon photo editing session and critique session. We will then head back out for a sunset photo session.
Sunday, January 13 – We will have a final sunrise shoot followed by a final critique and finish by 10AM to get ready for hotel check out.
- Transportation throughout the workshop.
- Daily personalized one-on-one instruction with Tina and Kevin in the field, post-processing classroom instruction and constructive critiques.
- Water and snacks.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Airfare to and from Yosemite (San Francisco is the largest nearby city).
- Hotel accommodations.
- Transportation between the airport and your hotel.
- Daily meals and beverages.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- DSLR or Mirrorless Camera.
- Lenses ranging from wide angle to telephoto (wide angle lenses are especially useful in this workshop.)
- Sturdy Tripod.
- Filters (polarizer, split neutral density, variable neutral density, etc.). These are not mandatory but helpful.
- Laptop with Photoshop (trail versions are usually available if you don’t already have Photoshop.)
- Sturdy walking shoes and clip-on traction cleats/chains in case of ice and slick snow.
A deposit of 50% of the workshop price is due upon registration and is non-refundable or you can choose to pay the total amount up front. Final Payment is due 30 days prior to the workshop event. If the final payment is not made by the due date your space will be forfeited.